Case for Pocket C.H.I.P

I'm a big fan of one of my newest gadgets, the Pocket C.H.I.P. (P CHIP). And I've learned that anything I like needs to have a case, otherwise it's going to get scratched. So, with most things like this I asked my wife to make a case for it. But then I decided that perhaps it was finally time for me to try and make it (with her walking me through it of course). So here is how it's done:

First we cut out the fabric. These are two cuts of fabric that we had sitting around from previous cases. The red cloth is very soft and slick and will be the inside. The blue cloth has a pretty thick padding in it, to protect from most minor cases of rumble and tumble. The fabric was cut by eye, such that it will be able to fold snuggly over the P CHIP.


Eye-ball cutting the material to fit the P CHIP

Next I got to learn how to thread the sewing machine. I admire the work that the engineers at Brother put into making it very simple to thread this, with extruded numbers at each step showing where to thread next. 


Threading the needle

 Since this fabric is pretty thick, my wife recommended we use a walking foot (pictured below)


The walking foot

 I started out on the bottom corner near the fold of cloth. I did about a quarter inch backstitch, then a forward stitch to make sure things don't unravel on me. Once I got to the corner, I left the needle down, and turned the case around that point to keep a continuous thread.


The outer fabric pocket

 Since the outer material is so thick, I had to cut the corners. Otherwise the corners would be to bulky and things might not fit right.


"Cutting corners"

Next I sewed the inner material together. During my first attempt, I accidently had the material folded imperfectly, and would have been too tight of a fit. So we had to rip some stitches and restart. This time  we pinned it together well. You also have to becareful with the slippery cloth, because (due to the mechanism that feeds the cloth in) it can cause the top of the fold to travel faster than the bottom, misaligning things.


Pinning up the inner fabric

 Next I stuff the inner pocket material into the outer pocket. Note that I am stuffing it such that both the seams are not on the same edge, otherwise things might fit awkwardly.


Stuffing the two pockets together

I pushed the P. Chip in to make sure everything was going to fit well 


A little test fit

Next I folded the excess of the inner fabric in half, then rolled it over the side of the outer fabric. I used a lot of clips to make sure things stayed where I want them 


Folding the brim of the bag


I got caught in the act of sewing something

I had planned on stopping at this point. But I thought it needed a bit more, so we decided to give it a loop and button. The button is a custom 3D Printed button with the C.H.I.P. symbol on it. Sewing the button was pretty strait forward. I just had to turn off of the feeding mechanism, and then set it to a diagonal stitch with an appropriate distance set. I did the first stich very slowly (using the hand wheel) to make sure that things would work well with the current settings


The button and loop

And there it is, the Pocket C.H.I.P. fits happily in this little case, now I can put it in my backpack and not have to worry about any annoying scratches! 


It fits snuggly!

Also as a minor digression, I had a bit of trouble printing out my button. The quality was jut not what I wanted. I was also using some new PLA. I solved this issue by dialing back the extrusion multiplier. I could tell just by looking at it, that the printer was smearing the excess material around. The SCAD model for the button is attached below. 


The three print iterations with a dialed down extrusion multiplier (I also changed the hole size)

Click here for the Pocket C.H.I.P. button design files!